Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Our SENDCO Mrs Milner
Our SENDCO Mrs Milner
  • At Bassingham Primary School we strive to support all children to enable them to achieve at school.
  • In order to do this many steps are taken to support them through their learning journey.
  • Quality first teaching is vital; however for some children there are occasions when further additional support may be needed to help them achieve their targets.


 The Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator is: Mrs Sue Milner


Roles and Responsibilities of the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCO)


  • The SENDCO is responsible for the operation of the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Policy and co-ordination of specific provision made to support individual children with SEND.
  • The co-ordinator liaises with staff to monitor the pupil’s progress and plan further interventions where progress is slower than expected.
  • We regularly have contact with a wide range of external agencies that are able to give more specialised advice.

If you have any concerns regarding SEND matters do not hesitate to contact me.

There are many SEND terms that are abbreviated which can lead to confusion (even to us!). Below is a list and a glossary of the main agencies used and also the SEND terms.




Attention Deficit Disorder


Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder


Additional Needs Plan


Autistic Spectrum Disorder


Behavioural, Emotional and Social Difficulties.


Common Assessment Framework


Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service


Code of Practice


Child Protection


English as an Additional Language


Educational Health Care Plan


Educational Psychologist


Free School Meals


Hearing Impairment.


Individual Educational Plan


In School Review


Key Stage


Looked After Child


Local Education Authority


Moderate Learning Difficulty


National Curriculum


Occupational Therapist


Physio Therapist


Speech and Language Therapy


Special Educational Needs


Special Educational Needs Coordinator


Specific Learning Difficulty


Specialist Teaching Team


Visual Impairment


These interventions are recorded on the school provision map. If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENDCO.


Pupil progress is monitored each term through the School Pupil Tracker Online (SPTO). The tracker will highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned.


Occasionally a pupil may need more expert support from an outside agency such as Speech and Language Therapy Support, Specialised Teacher etc. A referral will be made, with your consent and forwarded to the appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided for the school and parents/carers.


The Governors at Bassingham Primary School are responsible for entrusting named persons Mr Ian Howells and Mrs Ruth Panting to monitor safeguarding and child protection procedures. They are also responsible for the monitoring and correct administration of the Disclosure and Barring Service procedures and the school’s central record. In a support and challenge role the Governors ensure that the school is as inclusive as possible and treats all children and staff in an equitable way. They monitor and review all statutory policies as defined by the DfE.


How does Bassingham Primary School know if children need extra help?


We know when pupils need extra help if;

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child
  • Limited progress is being made
  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress


 What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?


  • The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns
  • If you have concerns then contact Mrs Milner who is the SENDCO.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.

Teaching Assistants (TA’s) may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.

If a child has been identified as having a special need, they will be given an Individual Learning Plan (ILP)/ Additional Needs Plan (ANP) - previously known as an Individual Education Plan (IEP). Targets will be set for their area of need. These will be monitored by the class teacher and by the SENDCO three times per year. ILP/ANPs will be discussed with parents during our in school review, where targets can be discussed and new targets set. A copy of the ILP/ANP will be given to the parents.


 How will I know how my child is doing?


You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at the in school review and also at parent’s evenings. You also have access to school assessments through your own secured access to School Pupil Tracker Online.

Your child’s class teacher is usually available at the end of each day if you wish to raise a concern. Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENDCO by visiting the school office.


 What support will there be for my child’s overall well- being?


The class teacher may suggest ways in which you can support your child.

If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided that can be used at home.


This school provides a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties.

These include:


Pupils with medical needs


If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Care Plan is compiled with support from the school nurse in consultation with parents and carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil.


Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school only where a signed Medicine Consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both the child and staff member.


All staff has basic first aid training.


 What specialist services and expertise are available or are accessed by the school?


At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise. The agencies used by the school include:

  • Autism Outreach
  • Child Protection Advisors
  • Educational Psychologist
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service
  • Educational Welfare Officers
  • Social Services
  • Speech and Language Therapy team
  • School Nurse
  • Specialised Teachers and Psychologist Services
  • Occupational Therapy Team
  • Physiotherapy Team
  • Physical and Sensory Service to support hearing and visual impairment


An Educational Psychologist is allocated to each school. He would normally only work directly with pupils who needs are felt to be quite considerable and have not responded well to the interventions put in place for them. In order to help understand the pupils’ educational needs better, the psychologist will generally meet with the parent and give feed back after the assessment has been completed. The psychologist will offer advice to the school and parent/carers on how best to support the pupil in order to take their learning forward.


What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?


Different members of staff have received training related to SEND. These have included sessions on:


  • How to support children on the autism spectrum.
  • How to support pupils with social and emotional needs.
  • How to support children with speech and language difficulties.
  • How to support pupils with physical and co-ordination needs.


Mrs Milner has gained the qualification

National Award for Special Educational Needs Co-ordination’


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?


Activities and school trips are available to all. Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in to place to enable all children to participate.


However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.


How accessible is the school environment?


As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.

Facilities we have at present include:

  • Ramps in to school to make the building accessible to all
  • 2 toilets adapted for disabled users
  • Wide doors in some parts of the building
  • Ramp up to the playground.


How will school prepare and support my child when joining Bassingham Primary School or  transferring to a new school?


 Many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible.

 These include:

  • Discussions with previous settings or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • All pupils attend a transition session where they spend some time with their new class teacher.
  • Additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
  • Secondary school staff meets with pupils prior to them joining their new school.
  • Mrs Milner will liaise with the SENDCO’s from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEND pupils.
  • Where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with Mrs Milner, the secondary school SENDCO, the parents/carers and where appropriate the pupil.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational  needs?


The SEND budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependent on an individual’s needs.

The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at planning meetings.

Resources may include the deployment of staff depending on individual circumstances.


How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?


These decisions are made in consultation with the class teacher and SENDCO.

Decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress and a result of assessments by outside agencies.

During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil’s lack of progress or well-being then other interventions will be arranged.


How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

All parents/carers are encouraged to contribute to their child’s education.

This may be through:


  • discussion with the class teacher
  • during parent consultation evenings
  • during discussions with Mrs Milner and other professionals
  • parents/carers are encouraged to comment on their child’s IEP/ANP with possible suggestions that could be incorporated.


Who can I contact for further information?


If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with the SENDCO.



Please do not hesitate to contact the school if you have further questions.

SEND Local offer Jan 2017

Accessibility Plan

Governing Body SEND Report